The following information is both approved and mandated by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Admission to Elementary Schools
- Preferences are given to active members of the parish
- The recommended age for kindergarten students is five (5) years of age on or before September 1, but required by December 1
- The recommended age for first grade students is six (6) years of age on or before September 1, but required by December 1, unless waived by the principal
- All students must comply with current California immunization and health requirements prior to enrollment
- The parish school will strive to have Catholic education accessible to as many students as possible, both with its educational programs and financial considerations; however, it may have insufficient resources to meet the educational and financial needs of all students
- The pastor and principal will review a student’s continued eligibility for enrollment in the parish school
The school establishes its own procedures for admission and enrollment
Examinations and Inocultions
A student, with the permission of the parent or guardian, may be subject to routine tests in school, including auditory, visual, and dental inspection and, upon referral by the principal, to a complete physical examination and/or other professional help.
All directives regarding immunization, issued annually by the State of California, shall be implemented. No student may be unconditionally admitted to school unless he or she has been immunized against poliomyelitis, measles, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and varicella for first admission to schools in California. In addition, Hepatitis B immunization is required for students entering preschool and kindergarten. All students entering grade seven are required to present documentation showing the dates when three doses of Hepatitis B and two doses of a measles-containing vaccine have been received. All students entering a California school for the first time must have a Mantoux tuberculosis test.
Immunization is not required for admission if a parent or guardian presents a letter stating that such immunization is contrary to his or her beliefs, or presents a written statement from a physician to the effect that immunization is not considered safe or reasonably beneficial to the individual student.
The following items are required with your application:
A complete application form
A complete application form
Signed Authorization for the Release of Records
Immunization Records (complete and verified by doctor’s office)
Standardized Test Scores of the past 2 years (if applicable)
Report Cards of the past 2 years (if applicable)
A copy of the Birth Certificate
A copy of the Baptismal Certificate (if applicable)
A copy of the First Communion Certificate (if applicable)
A Non-refundable application/testing fee of $40 per student/$70 per family
ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE INCLUDED BEFORE THE APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Once the application is submitted, the child is scheduled for an assessment appointment. This appointment will last about 30 – 45 minutes. Final decisions for admission are made according to the following criteria:
- Academic and Social Readiness
- Sibling of a student already enrolled at St. Pius X School
- Registered and active St. Pius X Parishioners
- Catholics from other parishes
- Non-Catholics (space permitting)